REJECT THE LIST OF DEMANDS BIG OIL IS TRYING TO HIDE
A secret memo from Canada's largest oil and gas lobby group to the federal government has exposed the industry’s attempt to exploit the COVID pandemic to their own ends, and endanger Canadians in the process.
The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) is exploiting the global health crisis to push for a long list of demands that would give it massive exemptions on rules that are designed to protect our health, land, water and climate. Here are some of the requests from the lobby group to the federal government:
- Stop moving forward with any new climate policies
- Cancel plans to reform the Canadian Environmental Protection Act
- Defer plans to implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People (UNDRIP)
- Exempt projects with big carbon footprints from having to undergo environmental impact assessments, indefinitely
- Pause planned increase to the federal carbon price
- Delay federal methane regulations, or let weak provincial regulations take over
CAPP does not want the Canadian public to see this list. The secret memo explicitly asks that the group be exempt from having to report their lobbying efforts. To read the memo, click here.
Tell the federal government to publicly reject CAPP's demands for special treatment during this crisis
Your letter will be sent to: Hon. Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Hon. Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance, Hon. Jean-Yves Duclos, President of the Treasury Board, Hon. Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, Hon. Bernadette Jordan, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, Hon. Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Hon., Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport & Your Local MP